Thursday, May 9, 2013

How to host a Derby party!!!

Our annual Derby party is quickly becoming one of my favorite events to host. The time of year is perfect for a party and you just can't beat Southern food!! After having done this two years in a row, I feel like I have a few tips and fail proof Pinterest recipes that I can share with you...
My Derby Menu included Derby pies, Country Ham & Biscuits with Mustard Butter and Benedictine Sandwiches. I stuck with finger foods that were easy to make lots of and have extras on hand. Here are a few of the Pinterest recipes that I used and they were all delicious!
Country Ham & Biscuits
Mustard Butter
Benedictine Sandwiches
Drinks are always an important part of any party. A staple drink for any Derby party is a Mint Julep. I used fresh mint from my Mom's garden for garnish and then had striped straws out for fun. My Mom has been collecting Derby glasses for a long time and has quite the collection. I loved that everyone was able to sip Mint Juleps out of an authentic Derby glass. And since a few of my friends are pregnant I made Mock Mint Juleps using another Kentucky favorite drink, Ale 8. I used these Pinterest recipes...
Classic Mint Julep
Mock Mint Julep with Ale8
I made a few banners to hang up around the house with scrapbook paper that resembled a checkered flag. I was going for a vintage look and used an old Coca-Cola box and these amazing Mint Julep napkins that I found at TJ Maxx of all places!
Since the Derby only actually lasts 2 short minutes and starts early in the evening it is always smart to have a few back yard games to play. Croquet is a good option, but we prefer a game we learned from England called Kubb. The person who drinks the most Mint Juleps will probably provide you with some excellent post derby entertainment as well. Tad, you win.

And my favorite part of the Derby...
Cute dresses in fun prints and colors accompanied by a hat...what could be better? The guys chose khakis and light weight shirts. I thought every one looked great including baby Jack who wore his first Derby hat.
Have you ever hosted or been to a Derby party???
I would love to hear about it!

Linking up with Katie and Steph for Saw It, Pinned It, Did It!

17 comments:

Katie said...

How fun!!! Looks like a blast. Love all your food/drink and decor.

Margaret said...

Looks like so much fun! And all the food, and of course drinks, sound delish.

Carrie said...

You all look so beautiful dressed up, hats and all! This really makes me want to host a derby party next year :) The recipes look delish, too!

Sarah S. said...

Oh my gosh! This is all so darling! I love it!

Elle said...

Its official.. your Derby Party was cuter than my Derby Party!

Your decorations so are Presh! LOVE the coke crate for the Derby Cups! Such a fun way to set them out!

XOXO,

Elle

Kira said...

IT looks like such a fun party!

Instant Milk said...

So nice! Awesome pictures! I am running a giveaway on my blog right now where the winner could get their favorite item from Mentirosas, and thought you'd be interested;)! Mentirosas is an awesome online clothing store! If you haven't checked it out before you definitely should! I think you'll love it! Everything is hand-made in Spain!

Here is the link, I think you should participate;)!
Mentirosas GIVEAWAY on InstantMilk!

xx

Betty said...

Looks like your Derby party was a rockin' good time again! Your food looks amazing and I love all of the fun games, dresses, and hats! :)

Rach said...

It's all so classy! I love it! I definitely need to host one of these. :)

noone said...

haha looks like a fun party and love the idea! the food looks great and love the dresses :D

Katie said...

this is SOOO fun!! i LOVE it and want to live close to you and be in your group of friends!!

Anonymous said...

Love everything about your party, the food/the decor/your outfit! Looks like you guys had so much fun!

Sarah said...

Well this looks VERY fun!

Susannah said...

What fun!!! I'm definitely saving this to host one next year. :-)

Jamie Sefcik || Hello Little Scout said...

Uhh, I'm kinda jealous! You throw a perfect party!! Looks like you ladies had a great time :) Have a great weekend pretty girl!

xoxo Jamie
www.bnjsefcik.blogspot.com

Ann said...

That looks like so much fun,
very festive.

A Brew of Blessings said...

Why can't we live closer!? This looks epic :)