Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hiking is "in-tents..."

Friday that hubby of mine and I took off work and went on a much needed camping adventure. We spent a few days stocking up on all the supplies we would need...visiting a do-it yourself trail mix bar is must, but more on all our good camping food in another post.
So the car was packed to the brim (for one night of camping) and we headed North to Hueston Woods a fabulous Ohio State Park. We got there and scouted out the perfect campsite...we decided to rough it and choose a non-electric camp site, go us!
 
We set up our home for the night and I learned that yes hubby and I really do make a good team because setting up our tent was a breeze. We celebrated with a hike to check out our surroundings.
Fall truly is the best time to go camping. I love seeing all the color in the trees! After our hike on the Cedar Falls Trail we decided to cook some grub. Since we ate so much delicious food I'm saving all of that for a post later this week...you will definitely want to tune in for my Campers cooking tricks and tips.
Obviously to cook food at a non-electric camp site you need fire...duh. Well thankfully God blessed me with Mr. Nature lover who is obsessed with survival shows and learning about the outdoors. Husbands these fire starting tips are for you although ladies it is always good to know how to start a fire just in case...
1. Make what my husband calls "Fire Taffy" using drier lint, vasoline and parchment paper. This will be a good fire starter.
2. Use flint, matches or a lighter to light the "Fire Taffy" and yes it does resemble a dead mouse.
3. Add pieces of cardboard/wood, etc. to fuel the fire.
4. Build a tower of logs above the flame...be careful not to crowd the fire. It needs to breathe.
5. Continue adding wood...Stand back and watch the flames!
Hubby and I enjoyed our time in the great outdoors. We ate yummy food, had great talks under the stars, got visited by a family of raccoons and slept in a cozy tent by the fire.
Stay tuned for some amazing camper's recipes.

11 comments:

Natalie said...

Outdoor adventures are so much more enjoyable in the fall weather =) I so wanna make s'mores now!

Allison said...

This looks like so much fun!! I would love to do this one weekend.

Tatiana said...

It looks like a total blast! I'm so glad you guys had a great time! Love all your photos!

Luisa Rodríguez said...

You guys look so cute together!

See, my husband and I do those things all the time - he LOVES outdoor activities. I actually showed him your post and he's all excited about going camping next weekend. When I was younger, I never thought I'd have a good time camping.. But ever since we met, I realized I want to freakin' move to the country and live surrounded by nature!!

I'm so glad I bumped into your blog - I got here through The Blair Affairs. Maybe you could come visit me too sometime; I'd love that..

Have a great week!



mustbeliberating.blogspot.com

Megan said...

Awwww, this is precious! I would have never know how to start a fire like that. WOOHOO for going no electricity! Y'all are awesome!

Emily said...

I am sure my fire-loving husband is going to love these fire starting tips!

I want to go fall camping so badly - but it doesn't look like we are going to be able to make it. Thankfully I get to live vicariously through your lovely photos.

Can't wait for the food post. I might learn some trick for next summer.

Jessica Ruud said...

Looks so much fun! I love camping :)

Awesome blog!! xo.

Unknown said...

How fun! I love camping. Just being in nature like that is rejuvenating to me.

Megan and Justin said...

camping is the best!!! this looks like so much fun and in such a beautiful place!

Tamara said...

This looks so perfect!
I agree, fall is the perfect time to camp.
Now I'm itching to do some camping!!

Chelsea L said...

Now I want to go camping so bad! It's on our list of things to do this coming summer and we're so pumped! I'm going to have to remember your awesome camping recipes. Looks fun!!