Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Perfect St. Patrick's Day Meal...

For some reason I decided that 2013 was the year to try Corned Beef. Never have I ever had a desire to try Corned Beef let alone cook one, but I was at Trader Joe's and saw one and plopped it in my shopping cart. Before I knew it I had red potatoes, carrots and cabbage in my cart as well. I searched online for a recipe and found one that involved Guinness so I started cooking. Turns out I love corned beef! Here's what you will need:

-10 small red potatoes (quartered)
-1 yellow onion (chopped)
-4 large carrots (sliced)
-1 head of cabbage (cut in half and roughly chopped)
-4 cups water
-6 oz. beer (Guinness if you want to be festive)

First, quarter your red potatoes and spread them out on the bottom of your crock pot. Then add the chopped up onion and carrots. Cover with 4 cups of water. Add the corned beef brisket on top of the vegetables and pour 6 oz. of beer over it. Add spice packet to the top of the brisket, cover and then set your crock pot on high for 8 hours.

An hour before brisket is finished cooking, coarsely chop half a cabbage and add to the crock pot. Stir to make sure cabbage is mostly covered in the liquids. Let it cook with the brisket for another hour. Serve warm!
Make sure you are wearing green and eating Guinness Beer Bread with your Corned Beef to make it a complete and festive meal!

And you would make me feel like I found the pot of gold if you would follow me on Bloglovin here. Haha...had to get that in somewhere. Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Original recipe found here!

9 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Happy St. Paddy's Day to you. I AM Irish and I don't like corned beef- go figure- lol xo Diana

Anonymous said...

We made brisket for the first time ever this weekend too :) We made reubens, so yummy!

Katie said...

we are going to chris' family for a big st. patrick's day meal! i love it!! i love that banner too - so cute!

SH said...

This looks great! Hubby would love it.

Hope you've had a wonderful weekend :)

Sheree
The Hartungs Blog
thehartungs.blogspot.ca

Erin said...

Seriously… PLEASE let me come over and have you cook for me!!! Everything you make always sounds/looks delish!!! :)

The Lady Okie said...

I'm not going to lie. I'm a little scared of Corned Beef. This looks good, though. I might have to try it!

Jennie said...

That looks yummy. I was really thinking about making corned beef today also but ordered chinese instead =)

Jennie said...

That looks yummy. I was really thinking about making corned beef today also but ordered chinese instead =)

Rach said...

I've never had corned beef, but it sure looks good! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I should definitely try it sometime.

And hey, I met a girl this weekend who loves Ree as much as we do! She even got to meet her and get a cookbook signed!! I was so jealous, haha!