Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The BEST French Toast Recipe {Blueberry-Maple French Toast}

Since Drew and I have been married, I have made the same thing every year for our Christmas breakfast. It's that good. The other day we had Drew's family over for breakfast and I decided to make our Christmas morning favorite, Blueberry-Maple French Toast with Blueberry Sauce. Today I decided it was time I share the recipe with you. Are you excited?
Cast of Characters:
1 large loaf (1 pound) of French bread, crust removed
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 dozen large eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1/3 cup your favorite maple syrup

For the Blueberry Sauce:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon butter
1 cup blueberries

Start by cutting the bread into 1 inch cubes. Spread half of the bread cubes on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Then cut the cream cheese into small cubes and scatter over the bread cubes. Scatter the blueberries evenly on top and cover with the other half of bread cubes.

Mix the beaten eggs, maple syrup and milk together in a large bowl. Pour this over the bread mixture then cover the dish tightly and refrigerate overnight. Make sure to remove the dish 30 minutes before baking the next day.

Preheat the oven to 350. Keep the dish covered with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 30 minutes until ingredients are set.

While the French toast bakes you can start on the blueberry sauce. Yum. Combine the sugar, water, cornstarch and butter in a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat and boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly! Then stir in the blueberries, reduce the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the blueberries start to burst. It's actually pretty entertaining to watch blueberries burst.

Last, slice the french toast and serve with the warm blueberry sauce.

Are you in heaven yet? Please tell me you will be making this recipe.

Recipe taken from: The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever by Beatrice Ojakangas, which also includes my favorite hashbrown casserole recipe!

20 comments:

Carrie said...

I am pinning this! But, we have breakfast for dinner sometimes, so I am sure we'll have it for dinner somex soon! I love how you have a picture of you with it every year! LOL!

According to Jax said...

This is too cute! I love how you have the same pic every year...and you haven't aged a bit!!! :)

The Heart Of A Woman said...

This looks wonderful! You are too cute with all the pictures!!! I like how you said "cast of characters!" Very creative girl!

Erica said...

That sounds SO good! This is great for when I buy a whole lot of berries and don't know what to do with them!

Katie said...

yum!! breakfast food is my favorite!!

Kayla MKOY said...

AHH that looks incredible!!! I also love that you take the same picture every year :) adorable!!!!

Rach said...

Aww, I love the shots of you pulling this same recipe out of the oven! How cute are you?! :)

Jenny Fish said...

This looks absolutely delicious! It's pinned and ready for a weekend morning!

Erin LFF said...

Ooooh yummy! I'm glad you finally shared! I shall save this for a special holiday breakfast too! :)

Courtney B said...

Pinning right now!! Sounds DELISH!
One question. When you say crust removed.... are you talking about the bottom side of the french bread. Or the whole outside of the bread? Sorry, probably a dumb question!

Sara E. said...

Oh, yum! This looks so delicious. Definitely keeping this recipe in mind for a future breakfast-for-dinner night!

Allison said...

Yum! I need to make this ASAP!!

Jenna Griffin | Gold & Bloom said...

I don't even think I can speak right now...my mind is blown. This looks so so so so so so good! I'm definitely going to have to make this very soon! Thanks so much for sharing. Oh, and your photos from over the years are so cute! Love the PJs!

A Brew of Blessings said...

I'm in heaven!!!! Can you come to England already so we can bake and shop!?

A Brew of Blessings said...

I'm in heaven!!!! Can you come to England already so we can bake and shop!?

Rachel Zimm said...

Yumm!
I was just looking for a baked French Toast recipe-thanks Allison!
www.floralandfudge.blogspot.com

sarah e said...

Oh man - this looks so tasty! Definitely saving it as a to-make for my new hubby.

Anonymous said...

Delicious! How could you reserve that only for Christmas! Too good to not eat other times too, right?

henning love said...

yummmm!!! i love french toast. i just started mops and are in charge of breakfast one morning so i will have to make this!

Mimsie said...

Miss your blog posts. Hope everything is okay!