-Large white paper lantern (I got mine from IKEA, but I know party stores and places like World Market have them as well)
-Various colors of tissue paper
-Double sided tape
-yarn for hanging
-small piece of cardboard or heavy duty paper
1. Start by cutting your tissue paper in approximately 3 inch strips (thickness is really up to you)
2. Once you have a nice pile of strips cut, use your scissors to cut the fringe. Do not cut all the way through your tissue paper. I would leave about an inch at the top to place tape later and I would leave about a quarter of an inch between each fringe.
4. Insert the wire piece that came with your lantern to give your lantern shape then place a piece of tissue paper down starting at the very bottom and working your way up. Take the tape backing off one by one as you adhere it to the lantern.
5. Continue layering until your lantern is covered
7. Use packaging tape to adhere yarn or string to the side of your circle that will be inside the lantern so it will not show
9. Fill your lantern with small pieces of tissue paper
10. Test out your lantern by pulling gently on the yarn. The cardboard circle should pop out with ease releasing your tissue paper confetti! Surprise!
I got the idea for this tutorial from here.