Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Tried and True Freezer Meals for New Moms! {Part 1}

My October due date is quickly approaching so being the typical type A gal that I am I want to be as prepared as I can for when Aiden gets here. I knew one way I could help myself out later was by having some meals made that I could simply pull out of the freezer, thaw and bake.

I scoured Pinterest for freezer meals that weren't too complicated or too expensive. I didn't want to waste my time making freezer meals that wouldn't taste good so I went to my other girlfriends for advice. My friend Dori gave me her favorite freezer meal website that she had used when she was pregnant and here are two of the four freezer meals I ended up making. {I will share the other two in another blog post!}

The ingredients for these 2 freezer meals (aluminum foil and tins included) was $38.16, so less than 20 dollars for 2 delicious meals that serve 4-6 people each. I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

If you are going to do freezer meals I say make it fun. Have pregnant friends due around the same time as you? Make it a party! My girlfriend Theresa and I have due dates within a month of each other meaning the shelf life of our meals is perfect for both of us. We met at the grocery store, snatched up some Starbucks and hit the grocery aisles with our lists. We decided to make meals that involved chicken on the same day so we wouldn't have to cook/purchase chicken twice. The two meals I'll be sharing today are both from this website.

I would highly recommend shopping for and making these two meals together. I shopped for all the ingredients and made both meals within 2 hours, but in case you don't want to do that the ingredient lists and instructions are separate below.

Layered Enchilada Casserole
Ingredients:
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I used 2 chicken breasts that I bought from the butcher)
1 can diced tomatoes, drained (15 oz.)
1 can black beans, drained (15 oz.)
1 tub Sante Fe Blend Philadelphia Cooking Creme (if you can't find this at your grocery store you can substitute a tub of Philadelphia Spicy Jalapeno Cream Cheese)
2 cups Shredded Cheese (I mixed Mexican Cheddar Jack and Cheddar)
Flour Tortillas (you will use approximately 6-8)

Instructions:
Cook and shred chicken (I boiled my chicken for 10 minutes then shredded it in my Kichen Aide mixer)
Mix chicken with tomatoes, beans and cooking creme/cream cheese in a bowl
Place 1/3 of the mixture on the bottom of a 9x9 disposable tin
Top chicken mixture with a flour tortilla
Top tortilla with more of the chicken mixture and cheese
Repeat layers and end with chicken mixture on top and top with remaining cheese
Double wrap with aluminum foil
Label your meal in permanent marker. I put the name of the meal and instructions for when I'm ready to cook it so I wouldn't have to look back at the recipe
This meal is now ready to freeze. When you want to eat it thaw and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. So easy!

Chicken and Wild Rice
Ingredients:
1 box wild rice with seasoning packet (4.3 oz.)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can water (yes can...use an empty soup can and fill it with water)
1 small can mushrooms, drained
4 boneless skinless chicken breast (uncooked)
1 cup slivered almonds

Instructions:
Mix together rice with seasoning packet, both cans of soup, and water. Stir in mushrooms.
Pour into 9x9 disposable tin and top with 4 chicken breasts
Sprinkle slivered almonds overtop chicken breasts
Double wrap with aluminum foil
Label your meal in permanent marker. I put the name of the meal and instructions for when I'm ready to cook it so I wouldn't have to look back at the recipe
This meal is now ready to freeze. When you want to eat it thaw and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 60 minutes. (If your chicken breasts are thick I recommend baking this meal at 400 for an hour and a half instead or if you do cook it at 350 for an hour make sure to check that the chicken is cooked through all the way!)

I tested both meals out to make sure I liked them and both meals are delicious and easy to prepare on any regular night or to freeze and eat later! Do any of you have any other meals that are good to freeze and eat later? Please share!

{See this post for a few more Tried and True Freezer Meals!}

9 comments:

Rach said...

Fun!! Love doing this with friends! Lasagna, baked ziti, chicken enchiladas, spaghetti sauce, meatballs, and minestrone soup are nearly always on our freezer meal list when my group of girlfriends and I make them. We've made a bunch of different ones, but these are our favorites. I actually had a mini freezer meal night last night. I made veggie soup, chili, lasagna soup, and english muffin pizzas and packaged them individually for lunches for this fall. I'm going to blog about it next month, I think. :)

Erin LFF said...

Yum! I love having meals in the freezer for later :) definitely adding these to my list for my next batch!

Katie said...

You will LOVE having these available. I did not do this ahead of time and wished I did.

cincinnatihousewife said...

I can just picture you asking some random person in the grocery store for a quick picture. Love it!!

Kayla MKOY said...

I aboslutely need to get on this train! So awesome and such a time saver!!!

Leigh said...

Favouriting this post for sure! I have been looking for freezer meals for when our little one comes (it will be the middle of winter and will not want to venture out to get groceries too often). I also like to find recipes that people have tried so I know they aren't terrible! :)

Susannah said...

Thanks for these recipes! I'll have to try them for when my little one comes! :-)

The Lady Okie said...

Hey! Just wanted you to know that I made a few of your freezer meals before R came, and they were great!

Glo said...

Baby coming soon with a very hungry family already:) Thanks for great recipes that will help make the transition home smoother