Monday, September 29, 2014

Tried and True Freezer Meals for New Moms {Part 2}

Today I'm sharing two more Tried & True Freezer meals: Goulash and Potato Soup. The ingredients for both these meals (not including the disposable tins) was $24.02 and both meals were delicious. First up...Goulash. I had never made or eaten Goulash before, but all the ingredients sounded great. It's basically Chef Boyardee for grown ups. Yum.

Goulash
Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 can tomato soup
6 oz. can tomato paste
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
2 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
1 can corn (15 oz.)
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Onion Powder
2 cups shredded cheese

Instructions:
Brown Ground beef with onion powder and garlic powder. The smell from this is just amazing. Drain.
Cook noodles according to package directions, drain.
In a large bowl mix tomato soup, tomato paste, Italian Seasoning, noodles, corn and ground beef. Stir.
 Transfer to 9x9 disposable tin and top with cheese.
Cover dish with 2 layers of aluminum foil then label the dish with the following information making it easier when you get it out to bake later:
-Goulash
-Date assembled
-Cooking instructions: Thaw and Bake uncovered at 350 for 30-40 minutes

Next up, Potato Soup. The easiest of all the freezer meals I've made and one I will be making frequently both before and after baby comes.

Potato Soup
Ingredients:
30 oz. bag frozen, shredded hashbrowns
32 oz. container of Chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup onion chopped
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
8 oz cream cheese (this will be added at the time you actually make the meal, but cream cheese lasts a long time so go ahead and buy it now if you want to make sure to have it when you make this meal!)

Instructions:
Double up a large freezer bag then combine all ingredients EXCEPT cream cheese. Label with the following:
-Potato soup
-Thaw soup and place in crock pot
-Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours
-1 hour before serving add in cream cheese, allow to heat through until melted
-Garnish with cheese, bacon, green onions, sour cream

Click here for 2 more tried and true freezer meals!

8 comments:

Carrie said...

I've ever had goulash before either... but, it looks good! Wow, you are going to be set on meals once that baby gets here!

Kayla MKOY said...

Once I get home I'm bookmarking these!!!!! So fun that you got to do this :) I really need to plan a day of freezer meals.

Ashley said...

I'm not a fan of goulash (I think it stems from eating it too much in childhood) but I am a fan of freezer meals. It is definitely on my list to get a lot made before the baby arrives!

Anonymous said...

Mmm, it's windy and rainy here today so both of those meals look especially comforting and tasty!

-Amy

Erin LFF said...

Yum to both of these!! :) I have an awesome goulash recipe my great-grandmother passed down to me and I will cherish it forever!!!

Susannah said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're sharing these!!!

Rach said...

I haven't tried freezing potato soup yet! Christopher and I were just talking about that last week (whether or not it would dethaw well). You'll have to let me know how it turns out for you!! :)

Leigh said...

Book marking these recipes too! Thank you :)