Thursday, February 21, 2013

SPD: Chocolate Bread Pudding

I'm finally sharing the step by step recipe from our Valentine's day dessert, which if you had asked me a few months ago would not have been bread pudding. The first time I ever actually tried bread pudding was on our 3rd anniversary. Drew and I both were never very interested in bread pudding until we saw the blueberry chocolate chip bread pudding at Bella Luna. Ever since then I've wanted to make it and Valentine's day gave me that opportunity!
one. Gather ingredients.
You will need:
-1 Tablespoon butter (plus more for baking dish)
-8 slices Cinnamon raisin bread
-2 cups milk
-3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
-2 eggs
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-1/2 tsp. vanilla
-1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
two. Combine milk, chocolate chips and butter in medium sauce pan. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until chocolate is melted (about 5 minutes)
three. Toast bread and preheat oven to 350. Go ahead and butter a 11x7 inch baking dish while bread is toasting. Let bread cool and then tear into pieces and lay on bottom of baking dish.
four. Whisk together eggs, sugar,  and vanilla in medium bowl. Slowly add the warm chocolate mixture to the egg mixture. Make sure to whisk continually so the eggs don't start cooking due to the hot temperature of the chocolate mixture!
five. Pour the egg/chocolate mixture over the toasted bread pieces in the baking dish

six. Make sure all the pieces are well coated with the mixture before placing it in the oven for 25 minutes. Although it may be tempting to eat it straight from the oven, allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy every bite!

Original recipe found here.

14 comments:

Katie said...

yum!! that looks so good!

Anonymous said...

I LOOOOOOVE bread pudding - this looks amazing!

xo
See Mo Go.

Rach said...

I've never had bread pudding, but this looks really delicious! Thanks for the picture-by-picture recipe! :)

Sarah said...

Oh my....Im not sure if I should even tell the husband that his exists. He LOVES bread pudding + chocolate.

Betty said...

Oh my goodness. This looks amazing. I must try this. By the way off topic...but I watched the rest of Downton...I can't believe it. I mean I can, but come on. Really?!

Courtney said...

i LOVE bread pudding! will have to try this :D

Brittany Kyte said...

I am definitely a lover of bread pudding.. so I have to try this out! Thanks for sharing, lovely lady!

Ashley @TheCreamToMyCoffee said...

Oh my gosh - that looks amazing!

Katie Cook said...

holy moly...i don't even know what to do with all this goodness!!! yum!

Devon said...

I love how you actually make things you pin. I also love how you bake. I could learn a thing or two from you! I rarely do either!

alison said...

i tried bread pudding for the first time ever last weekend. the texture kind of had me a bit put off....but i'm thinking i could definitely give it another whirl if it has chocolate in it!!

Unknown said...

yummy! I LOVE BREAD PUDDING!

Niki {Glossy Blonde} said...

My hubby LOVES bread putting, and yours looks so delicious!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! THat looks so yum!