Monday, January 13, 2014

Hiking in the Smoky Mountains

One of my favorite things to do with Drew is hike. It is something we both absolutely love doing. I think it is so important in a marriage to find something you are both passionate about and do it together. We love finding new trails to hike, we love being outside and we love that most parks don't cost you a cent to enter. While we were in the Smoky Mountains for our 1 year anniversary back in 2010 all we did was hike so we were excited to get in another trail during our most recent visit.
We researched a few trails and ended up picking the Hen Wallow Falls Trail. The morning of our hike was completely foggy and in the 40's so we bundled up and headed out. I have never hiked in the fog before and it's not something we ever could have planned, but it was absolutely mesmerizing. I felt like I was in a scene from The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings in the misty mountains.
one of my favorite pictures of my husband ever
We hiked a total of about 4.4 miles and got to see the actual Hen Wallow falls. We did not see a single other person on our hike out and being on a trail that had been known to have bears on it made it a little eerie, but awesome at the same time. This turned out to be one of my favorite hikes.
If you are curious about any of the other trails we've hiked I'd love to recommend some to you if you plan on taking a trip to the Smoky Mountains. Just email me!

18 comments:

Karla said...

Wow! Sooo gorgeous!! Seems like a challenging hike! But, so worth it! =)

Anne said...

Fun! I'm not a fan of true backpacking (you know, that requires tent camping and peeing in the woods) though Peter is, so I've just tried to avoid the topic all together. But we have done a bit of day hiking, especially in Colorado, and you're right that it's a great thing to do as a couple... so now I wish we'd done a bit more. Guess we'll just have to get a baby carrying backpack! :)

Samantha Shepherd said...

GORGEOUS. What a fun day! I would have been mesmerized too. I'm like you and absolutely love getting out to explore and go on hiking adventures. I hope my future hubby loves it just as much. :)

Natalie said...

Beautiful scenes! I just love The Smokey Mountains!

Elizabeth said...

you are adorable hikers!

Megan Klackner said...

so so cute. love my smokey mountains :)

Brittany said...

I love these pictures. That would be so awesome to hike in the fog like that! He looks like such an outdoorsman in that picture! Haha!

Erica said...

Wow, it looks breath-taking and so magical!

Devon said...

I love the fog too. What a cool hike.

Anonymous said...

Oooo, hiking in the fog is so mysterious and eerie and romantic all at the same time! It looks and sounds like it was perfect for your trip.

-Amy

Rach said...

So beautiful! We love to hike too! Whenever we get a chance to meet you guys, that's totally what we should do together!! :) By the way, that shot of Drew is epic. I can see why you love it!

Charise said...

It's so pretty in the fog! Hiking is one of our fave things to do too. In fact, the three things we look at when picking vacation spots are: great restaurants, good breweries or wineries, and good nature (mountains/forests/etc.) for hiking in!

Susannah said...

That hike looks awesome - especially in the fog! :-)

Emily said...

Hiking with husbands - it's the best. :) The fog makes these photos extra awesome!!

Betty said...

I love hiking...glad you got to enjoy such a fun (and foggy) adventure with your husband! :)

Jen Mc said...

I want to go back there! Gorgeous area!
Your photos are wonderful.

Ashleigh said...

I live just 3 hours from the Smokey Mountains & I love hiking there. It always is so much fun..Glad you two enjoyed it :)

Paige said...

That looks so beautiful! I love the Smoky Mountains. Living in the Rockies, I really miss the beauty of the Smokies from my childhood.