Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Swedish Meatballs + Cookbook WINNER!

Today I'm sharing another recipe from the amazing cookbook, Dinner A Love Story. Thanks to all of you who entered to win a copy. The lucky winner of this cookbook is....AMANDA! Congrats girl. Send me an email with your address and I will have Jenny ship out your cookbook to you!!

Ever since an IKEA moved in near my house, people have been talking about their Swedish meatballs. So when I saw a recipe for Swedish meatballs in Jenny's cookbook I decided it was about time I try them and I'm glad I did! Here is what you will need...
  • 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
  • 2 1/3 cups low-salt beef stock, divided
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
  • 1 cup minced onion
  • 2 thick slices bacon, minced
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 3/4 pound ground pork
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream, whisked
  • Lingonberry preserves (found at IKEA) 

-Start by mixing the breadcrumbs and 1/3 cup beef stock in a small bowl. Set aside. 

-Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer onion to a large bowl
-Wipe out pan and return to medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to bowl with onion. (Reserve bacon fat.) 
-Add next 8 ingredients to bowl with onion mixture, mixing with your hands to blend. 
-Fold in breadcrumb mixture. 
-Using a 1 Tbsp. measure, roll meat mixture into balls; transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.  
 -Melt 1 Tbsp. butter with reserved bacon fat in a large heavy pot over medium-low heat. 


-Working in 3 batches and adding 1 Tbsp. butter between batches, brown meatballs on all sides, about 6-8 minutes per batch. 

-Transfer meatballs to a plate. Drain all but 2 Tbsp. drippings from pot. Whisk in flour until smooth paste forms. Stir in 2 cups stock; bring to a simmer, whisking often. Return meatballs to pot. Cover; simmer until meatballs are cooked, 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat, whisk in sour cream, and stir to coat meatballs

-Serve with Lingonberry preserves
Click here for the original recipe source.
Have you ever made or eaten Swedish Meatballs???

3 comments:

Tales of a young mamma said...

Swedish meatballs are my favorite!I AND I think I might have the best recipe other from my dad, WHO was born and raised in Sweden and is a chef who went to one of the best cooking school (if not The best) in Sweden :) Making me hungry just thinking about it!

Rach said...

Oh yum! I wish there were an Ikea closer to us here! They are so fun to just walk around and explore. :)

Unknown said...

Ok, now I have to make these. I LOVED the ones I had at Ikea last month! :)