Friday, May 16, 2014

Pregnancy Files: {Having the "are we ready to be parents" talk}

I remember exactly where we were when we decided we were ready to start trying to expand our little family. I was about to turn 28, it was a gorgeous summer evening and it happened. I brought up the baby timeline. There's no magic number of years to be married or x amount of money you should have in the bank in order to be "ready." Before that summer, I had never been struck with baby fever, but it had hit me and Drew was ready too, so that night at a pub up the street as we sipped on beers and soaked up the sun on the patio, we decided it was go time. We were ready to start our family.
After our first ultrasound in March we thought it was only fitting to go back to the same spot where we decided we were ready to be parents, but this time after just seeing the heartbeat of OUR child. It was a wonderful and very surreal feeling. It was really happening...
For all you Mama's out there...do you remember having the "baby" talk? Were you and your husband on the same page?

11 comments:

Rach said...

Oh friend, this brought tears to my eyes. I LOVE that you have this memory and know exactly where it was that you first had the conversation! And now you've gone back again and it just makes me so happy. You two are going to be such fun parents! :)

brittany @ g squared said...

Such a nice story :) I don't know if we had an exact moment, because it was always kind of an option, but I do remember when I was serious about trying, and even more how shocked I was that it didn't take us too many "tries" at all. One thing for sure- we were def on the same page the whole way through, which made it 100 times easier. Congrats again!

Becky said...

Aww that was a great idea to go back to the same place! :) I've always loved reading your blog but reading about this baby is SO exciting! :)

Erin LFF said...

Love that you went back to the same spot :) I have never been there actually!

The Lady Okie said...

That's a fun thing to remember! Must be crazy to feel something growing in there :)

Jess said...

Congrats, Allison!! This is such an exciting time in your lives, I'm so happy for you :) I remember our talk. We were driving home and we had had the baby fever for a while but weren't sure if our bank account was ready lol That night we decided we didn't care if our bank account was ready, we were and we knew God was in control and would provide! He has and so much more! Anna has been such a blessing and joy to our lives and now we're on our second little blessing :) Praying for a healthy and happy pregnancy!

Jess said...

P.S. my due date is 6 days after yours :) Are you guys going to find out what you're having??

Rachel Elizabeth said...

So sweet. Congrats on your baby. You'll be 100% ready and not ready at all at the very same time, but parenthood is awesome.

Mrs Burns To You said...

We haven't started trying yet but we had the "baby talk" about a year go to get a realistic timeline of where we both were at. Such a fun time for you two!!!

Anne said...

Awww, I love this. And I love remembering back to ours - we were on vacation in the Dominican Republic. I also have nice memories of the places we went to eat and celebrate after our ultrasounds, like discussing baby names for the first time over burgers at Arthur's after finding out we were having a boy :) So fun!

The Heart Of A Woman said...

I was a little tears eyed reading this!!! I'm so happy for y'all! We tried right from the start because I knew it wasn't going to be easy for us. A little over three years later we got our sweet Landry girl!