Thursday, April 4, 2013

The couple that Pinterests together...

"The couple that Pinterests together, stays together." -Jena Roach

Jena sent me this quote the other day after I posted about Drew helping me with a project and I laughed out loud because it has to be true right? The project I'm sharing with you today was 95% completed by my sweet husband because I'm no good with accurate measurements or a table saw. I am however awesome with a paint brush! This has to be my favorite project to date...wooden ladder turned shelf!
We have a corner in our house where our Christmas tree always goes, but when the tree is put away it always feels empty and I have been searching for the perfect thing to fill it. I was browsing one of my favorite blogs, A Beautiful Mess and saw this amazing project to turn a ladder into a shelf. What?! Cheap...check, My style...check, Handy Husband with power tools...check.
We started by finding a wooden ladder then Drew started measuring and sketching away. Once he figured out how wide and how long each board needed to be for each shelf he got out the table saw and some old ply wood from the shed and started cutting. I helped by taking action shots. Oh and I painted an old chest the same color as the ladder too, see I did something. If you attempt this project for yourself just know that the rungs of the ladder are not level and will require you to glue some extra pieces of wood to make them even. We used Gorilla Wood Glue to attach the pieces.
My house is very rustic and I love incorporating nature any way I can (old flower pots, an old watering can, leaf fabric on the seat cushions, Moss covered letters, etc.) I can't wait to "style" my new shelves with some plants and old treasures! Who knew a ladder could be turned into a shelf? Talk about a re-purposing project...I love it! What do you think?
Original pin found here.
Check out my boards on Pinterest here.

22 comments:

Katie said...

i LOVE it! that looks so cute!

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

I love this and really want to use this idea in my flower garden. Where did you find the wood ladder?

Veronica Lee Burns said...

This is so cool! I love it! I love the color you chose too.
(and your jena quote...love her!)

Courtney said...

i love this!! loving that yellow, too!! i think i need to get my hubby pinteresting with me ;)

Jill @ Bluegrass Belle said...

Handy! I love the color, plus this would be a great option for making a plant stand. Which I really need!!!
stopping by from the link up this week!

Ashley @TheCreamToMyCoffee said...

Um, amazing! I loved that DIY on A Beautiful Mess! You did such a great job!

Jess said...

This turned out to be so cute! I love the yellow :) Really brightens up the room I bet!

And that quote is too funny...and true I think!

xo

lori said...

so fun! it looks great!!

Life As The Coats said...

Adorable and I love the name of this post!!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Stopping by from the link up. :)

Katie said...

oh wow! love it! I've never seen this but I love rustic touches in a home. thank you for linking up with us!

Lindsay @ Lovely Life Styling said...

I love this idea! I have seen it on pinterest and glad to see someone attempt it. It turned out so nice! Great little addition to your home!

xoxo, Lindsay
www.llstyling.com

Charise said...

So cute! I have an empty corner I've been wanting to put an old ladder in, but I was thinking more of just a regular ladder leaning against the wall. Now I'll be thinking about this instead!

Katie Cook said...

soooo cute! LOVE it!

jackie jade said...

this is such a cute idea! and what a sweet hubby for helping you out :)
-- jackiejade.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

SO CUTE! You guys are adorbs. I love doing projects together - so fun (and rewarding!). :)

xo
seemomogo.blogspot.com

Susannah said...

I love that you painted it yellow! That's such a fun color! :-)

Rach said...

What a cute idea! I absolutely love it! It's so helpful to have those handy husbands around. :)

Sally said...

It looks so perfect!! Spring always gets me in the mood for projects like this!!

Anne said...

That turned out so great! Love the cheery yellow.

Anonymous said...

Love this project. It looks great! I've also seen ladders used as TV stands which looked pretty neat. The color you picked out is perfect - just in time for spring! :)

Lauren
http://choosingjoy7.blogspot.com/

Megan Klackner said...

ahh! i love this! i've wanted to do this project for a while, but haven't found a ladder i can thrift yet. :)