Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I wish I had a green thumb...

I will be honest and tell you that I don't really remember ever actually planting a plant on my own or even having a desire to until I got married. With that off my chest, I've decided that plants and I have had a love/hate relationship so far.
Last year hubby and I had a tree removed from the front of our yard leaving a huge gap. What to do with a huge gap smack in the front of our new (to us) house?
We decided to build a retention wall and fill it with beautiful plants and we actually had a wonderful time shopping for and planting our mini garden of Eden. This picture was taken almost exactly a year ago.
The test was whether our plants would hold up after the ridiculously hot summer we had. I watered and watered and pruned and fertilized and did all those things a good gardener should do. The results are in and I'm proud to say that most of the plants in our retention wall area came back...now the side of the house is a completely different story. It's like the jungle book over there and I'm not happy. But to support the good news...here's a then and now picture of my favorite flowering bush.
Do you have any flower success stories? What are your secrets? I need help...my neighbor has a green thumb and I feel pressured to impress her. Ha.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Sadly I don't have any flower success stories =( The only thing I've ever been able to plant and keep alive is Rosemary.

Sam W. said...

our backyard is just a stone patio. i'd love to get some potted vegetable plants, but i have NO idea what i'm doing!

Megan said...

Oh my gosh, that bush is absolutely beautiful!! WOW!! I wish that I liked to plant or was good at it. I'd love to have a beautiful and bright yard!